A retrofitted version of the HTC Vive headset with a seamless and complete eye tracking integration from Tobii Pro. This unique combination transforms the way studies are conducted and opens up new research possibilities.
Eye tracking studies in VR
The Tobii Pro VR Integration allows researchers to run eye tracking studies in fully-controlled virtual environments, easily repeat research scenarios and switch stimuli, all while keeping track of the participants' gaze. Without compromising the VR experience, this research tool provides high-quality eye tracking data and tracks a vast majority of the world population.
Eye tracking in immersive VR is transforming how studies can be conducted, and it opens up entirely new research possibilities for professionals in fields such as psychology, shopper research, training, and performance assessment.
Powerful eye tracking solution
The eye tracking platform integrated into the VR headset is designed and tested to deliver robust, high-performance eye tracking at 120Hz for a majority of the world's population, including tracking through most prescription glasses. The advanced slippage compensation handles movements of the headset and maintains the accuracy and calibration, allowing the user to move naturally during the experience without losing performance in eye tracking.
Seamless hardware integration
The Pro VR Integration is a retrofitted version of the HTC Vive headset. The eye tracking platform is incorporated directly into the headset, which ensures no interference with the user experience of VR. The proprietary Tobii EyeChip™ handles the data processing and puts a minimum load on the host CPU. No external cables are needed, because eye tracking data is transmitted via the standard HTC Vive cables.
Powerful SDK to access eye tracking data
Eye tracking data can be accessed both live and for post analysis using Tobii Pro SDK and example code for Unity VR engine compatibility. The Pro SDK supports millisecond synchronization and allows researchers to build their own customized analysis applications.
Tobii Pro VR Analytics
Tobii Pro VR Analytics is a software tool that enables eye tracking data collection and analysis in fully controlled VR environments. Easily integrated in your existing or new Unity asset, it provides objective and instants analytics on a range of human behaviors, including automated visualizations and analytics for interaction and gaze data.
Learn more about Pro VR Analytics.
Tobii Pro Lab VR 360
Tobii Pro Lab VR 360 is an edition of Tobii Pro Lab; a state-of-the-art software platform which enables the collection of eye tracking data from 360-degree videos and images.
This edition supports the entire research workflow, including study design, data collection and further analysis- all while ensuring precise and consistent timing accuracy and optimal data quality. It can also be combined with GSR sensors to analyze emotional experiences in conjunction with your study stimuli.
Learn more about Pro Lab VR 360.
Retrofitted HTC Vive HMD
This retrofitted version of the HTC Vive head-mounted display (HMD) is seamlessly integrated with Tobii eye tracking. The eye tracking platform is tested and designed to provide accurate and robust eye tracking at 120 Hz, without interfering with the user experience of VR.
HTC Vive standard peripherals package
The HTC Vive includes these standard peripherals:
*Please note, these package items are subject to change by HTC. Visit their website for the latest updates.
|Gaze data output frequency (binocular)||120 Hz|
|Calibration procedure||5 point|
|Trackable field of view||110° (Full HTC Vive field of view)|
|Latency||Approximately 10ms (time from mid exposure to data available on client interface)|
|Pupil measurement||Yes, relative pupil size|
|Tracking technique||Binocular dark pupil tracking|
|Data output (for each eye)||
Timestamp (device and system)
Absolute pupil size
|Interface||Tobii Pro SDK (.Net/Matlab/Python/C)|
|3D engine compatibility||Unity, WorldViz Vizard|
|Hardware integration||HTC Vive with Tobii eye tracking retrofit hardware- no external devices or connectors needed *|
|Number of IR illuminators||10 per eye|
|Eye tracking sensors||1 per eye|
|Eye tracking processing||Tobii EyeChip™ ASIC|
|PC Requirement||HTC Vive-ready PC, see appendix A for general requirements|
*The eye tracking integration removes the possibility to use the USB port on top of the HTC Vive headset
1. First, download the Tobii Core Software for VR. This contains necessary drivers for the VR eye tracker to run.
3. Start Steam. In the user interface, click the VR icon to set up Steam VR.
4. Connect your Pro VR Integration according to the instructions in Steam VR. Set up your lighthouses and hand controllers.
5. To download and access the documentation for the Pro SDK, go to the webpage and follow the instructions. If you are a Unity user you download the Unity package which gives you basic example scenes on how to implement eye tracking using Pro SDK in your Unity environment. For the VR eye tracker, please check for documentation referring to “HMD.” Download this license key to unlock the Pro VR Integration to be fully compatible with Pro SDK, search for “apply license key” in Pro SDK documentation to learn how to apply it.
6. For inspiration or to test out your headset, you can download the Mirrors demo. To do so you need to register at Tobii Developer Zone, download the file, unzip it and run the mirrors.exe executable. Follow the instructions in the demo software to position your HMD correctly and to calibrate.