Data collection with the Mobile Device Stand and the eye tracker is managed and performed in Tobii Pro Studio. To prepare a recording in Pro Studio start by creating a project and an empty test and setup the mobile device test by by using the Scene Camera element on the Design and Record tab in the software. The Mobile Device Stand will only work with the stimuli type “Scene camera”.
Prepare a project and a test in Pro Studio:
- Make sure the eye tracker and the scene camera cables are connected to the computer and that eveything is correctly assembled. See: Assembling the Tobii Pro Mobile Device Stand for X2-60, X2-30 and X3-120
- Make sure that the mobile device stand is correctly assembled and configured and that the calibration board and the mobile device is attached to the stand. See: Configuring the X2 or X3 for the Mobile Device Stand
- Start the Tobii Pro Studio Software and create a new project and a new test.
- Select the Design and Record tab
- Drag and drop a Scene Camera stimuli to the study time line. The Scene Camera Element Setup dialog will appear.
Configure the scene camera in Pro Studio:
- In the Scene Camera Element Setup dialog, select Logitech HD ProWebcam C920 in the Video Source drop down
- While looking at the Preview, adjust the scene camera angle in the scene camera holder so that the entire Calibration Board is visible in the preview window.
- Open Camera Settings Properties, click Camera Settings. The Camera Settings Properties dialog will appear and you can adjust a large number of camera settings. Most of these settings can be left as they are but we recommended that you verify and optimize the settings for your setup to get a good quality video recording of the mobile device. Autofocus should always be turned off and focus needs to be set manually.
- Open the Video Settings Properties dialog. In the Video Settings Properties dialog enter the recommended settings:
- Frame rate: 30
- Color Space / Compression: RGB24 (Select MJPEG if using Morgan M-JPEG codec)
- Output Size 1280x720 (up to 1920x1080 is supported).
- Click OK: the dialog will close.
- In the Scene Camera Element Setup dialog, select Microsoft video 1 in the Video Codec drop down menu. The preview will now show the scene camera feed.
Configure the Perspective Calibration in Pro Studio:
- Make sure the calibration board is mounted on the Mobile Device Stand.
- In the Scene Camera Element Setup dialog, click New in the Perspective Calibration section. A snapshot of the calibration board will appear in the Calibration Image window.
- Click Zoom to enlarge snapshot. A new window will appear showing a larger image of the snapshot.
- In the window showing the large snapshot, drag and drop the five small red squares to perfectly align with the dots on the calibration board — there is one center dot and four corner dots and all of them should be aligned.
Click OK to close the window when all dots align perfectly with the dots on the calibration plate.
- Click OK in the Scene Camera Element Setup dialog to close it.
Configure the calibration procedure in Pro Studio:
- Open the Global Settings dialog box (Tools>Settings).
- Select the Calibration tab.
- In the Calibration Tab dialog select Manual Calibration option.
- Make sure number of calibration points is set to 5 points.
- Click OK to close the dialog.
Configure additonal settings in Pro Studio
- Configure other additional settings in Pro Studio depending on your needs such as:
- User camer and user sound recording
- Remote or local live viewer
- Participant independent variables
Perform a test recording to verify the quality of your setup
- Click Start Recording and go through the dialogs until you come to the calibration procedure.
- For each calibration point, look at the calibration point with the corresponding number 1–5 on the calibration plate. Press the space bar or the left mouse button to progress to the next calibration point. Make sure you press space or the mouse button only when focusing on the relevant point calibration point.
- Once the calibration result is satisfactory, continue the recording dialog procedure to record a video of the mobile device as well as eye movement data.
- Press escape or F10 to stop recording.
- Review the recorded video and eye tracking data in the replay view in Pro Studio to verify that the video and data quality is satisfactory.
You are now ready to start using the mobile device stand for data collection. Please see: Making a recording with the Mobile Device stand and Tobii Pro Studio for more information.