Before you install Tobii Pro Studio on your computer, please makes sure that your computer complies with the minimum system requirements needed for Tobii Pro Studio as well as for the eye tracker you intend to use together with the application. Please see the User's Manual for your eye tracker hardware and the System Recommendations document for details. Tobii Pro Studio is compatible with Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 (32- and 64-bit versions). The software uses various Windows programming components, drivers, and eye tracking firmware (e.g. APIs and frameworks) to display and record the eye tracking data and stimulus. If they were not previously installed, these components are automatically installed by the installer.
To install the application you need the Tobii Pro Studio CD or the Tobii Pro Studio installer downloaded from our website http://studiohelp.tobii.org/Updates/ and a software license key. The license key is used to activate the software after it is installed on the computer. Tobii Pro offers single-user and multiple-user licenses. A single-user license includes a key for each copy purchased. A multi-user license includes one key with entitlement to install the software on multiple workstations or for multiple users on the same workstation. The Pro Studio license key is located inside the CD cover. Use manual activation if you have problems activating your license or do not have an Internet connection. If you have previously installed Pro Studio using the same license key you must first de-activate the previous installation before you can activate a new installation, unless you have a multi-user license with unused activations.
To install Tobii Pro Studio:
- Insert the Tobii Pro Studio CD in your computer or download the installer from the Tobii Pro website: http://studiohelp.tobii.org/Updates
- Open the Tobii Studio CD folder or the downloads folder.
- Double-click TobiiStudio_installer_###.exe (### represents the Tobii Pro Studio version number).
- Follow the on-screen prompts and instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Tobii Pro Studio by clicking the icon on your desktop to launch Tobii Studio. Alternatively, click Start menu > All Programs > Tobii. From the Tobii menu, select Studio and then click the Tobii Studio application. The first time you run Tobii Pro Studio, you will need to provide the license key to run and activate the software:
- If your computer is connected to the Internet, type your license key, organization name and an e-mail address in the respective fields and then click Activate Now. The activation process is initiated and you can start using Tobii Pro Studio once it is completed.
- If you do not have an Internet connection, regardless of whether not you will in the future, click Activate later. By clicking Activate Later, you have a grace period of 5 days to activate Tobii Pro Studio. The License Data dialog box will appear every time when you start Tobii Pro Studio until it has been activated. If the software has not been activated within the 5 days, you will not be able to run Tobii Pro Studio without activating it.
- If you wish to use the software in trial mode select “Start in trial mode (30 days left)” to activate the trial mode. In trial mode you can design your own studies and use your mouse to simulate eye movements for a period of 30 days.You can also analyze pre-recorded data. The trial version cannot be connected to any Tobii Pro eye tracker and does not allow any recordings of real eye movement data.
- If an error occurs when activation the software, a message will appear stating that you were not able to activate Tobii Pro Studio. Click the Yes button to continue to the manual activation or click No to activate automatically at a later stage. Follow the instructions below to activate the license manually.
Activating Tobii Pro Studio manually
- Start Tobii Pro Studio. In the License Data dialog box, click the Activate Later button. A dialog box opens informing you that “Your Tobii Studio software must be activated in 5-1 days”.
- Create a new project or open an existing project.
- Open the Help menu on Tobii Pro Studio’s main menu and click Activate License – Manual... to open the Manual activation dialog box.
- In the Manual Activation Information box, you can find the information needed to activate your license. You can save that information in a text file by clicking the Save as file button.
- You can then choose between three methods to activate your license:
- Open your web browser and go to the activation page http://StudioHelp.tobii.org/Activate (if possible on a different computer) and enter the license key, machine ID and organization information in the designated fields on the page and click Activate.
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The e-mail should contain the organization name, license key and machine ID (eye tracker ID) — all this information is provided in the pop-up mentioned at step 4.
- Call Tobii Pro support at one of the phone numbers shown in the manual activation window.
- An activation code is obtained from the web page or from support. Enter the activation code in the Enter Manual Activation Code field. If successful, the following message should appear: Thank you for activating Tobii Studio. You may now start using it.
- Click OK to start using Tobii Pro Studio. If the activation is not successful, an error message will be shown. Contact support and provide them with the information shown in the error message.
Deactivating Tobii Pro Studio
Tobii Pro Studio’s license key policy also allows single license keys to be deactivated and reactivated more than once, allowing you to install the application on multiple computers and then switch between the computers. A license key must first be deactivated before it can be reactivated on another computer. In case you have purchased multiple-user licenses, each license key can only be activated on one computer or for one user account at a time.
To deactivate the Tobii Pro Studio license key:
- Connect the computer to the Internet.
- Start Tobii Pro Studio.
- Create a new project or open an existing project
- Click Help on Tobii Pro Studio’s menu bar and then click Deactivate License.
- Click Yes in the warning dialog box and wait until it connects to the server.
- Click OK and Tobii Pro Studio exits.
- If you start Tobii Pro Studio again, you will be prompted to enter a license activation key.
- Click the Activate Now button if you wish to reactivate your license.