Before starting to mount and install your eye tracker, you need to make sure that:
- Your computer is compatible with the software that you are going to use (Tobii Pro Studio or other eye tracking software). Please see the Tobii System Requirements and Recommendations document.
- You have administrator rights for the computer that you are using in order to be able to install and run the installation and configuration software.
- The screen used for presenting the stimuli has a proper size and form factor to be used with the eye tracker that you have.
- You are using Windows 7 (64-bit version) or later as an operating system.
- The firewall(s) that you might have on the computer allow access for the eye tracking software.
You are using a powered USB 3.0 port with the latest driver and with BC 1.2. The Pro X3–120 does not
support other USB ports.
Your computer is equipped with at least one Gigabit LAN port if you intend to use the External Processing Unit
- Always try out the Pro X3-120 before attaching it permanently to the screen in order to make sure that it works properly in conjunction to your screen and your computer.
Mounting the eye tracker to the screen
- For mounting the Tobii Pro X3-120 to a laptop or monitor you use one of the adhesive mounting brackets provided in the standard package. Try out the mounting bracket on the screen to see if the bracket works for your screen. If you already have a mounting bracket for the Tobii Pro X2–30 or X2–60 attached to your monitor you should use one of the Mounting bracket adapters provided.
- Make sure that the area where the eye tracker is going to be mounted is free from dust and dirt. If you clean it using a wet wipe, make sure that the area is completely dry before proceeding with the next step.
- Measure and locate the middle of the bottom frame of the screen. You will use this as a reference when positioning the mounting bracket.
- Peel off the adhesive tape on the back of the mounting bracket. Please be aware that the adhesive tape on the back of the mounting bracket is permanent, meaning that once you attach it to your screen, you won’t be able to remove it. Use other non-permanent double-sided tape for non-permanent mounting.
- Position the mounting bracket on the bottom frame of your screen. Make sure that it is centered exactly in the middle point of the screen bottom frame. Apply pressure to the mounting bracket for 30 seconds to make sure it gets attached to the screen. Allow up to one hour for the adhesive on the mounting bracket to cure and become permanently attached to the screen before attaching the eye tracker unit.
- Position the eye tracker and attach it to the mounting bracket. Make sure to position it in the right way so that the mounting bracket fits exactly in the slot on the back of the eye tracker. The magnet inside will keep the eye tracker in place.
Installing and configuring the eye tracker
In order to install the needed prerequisites and to configure the eye tracker for your screen you have to run the Tobii Eye Tracker Installer that you can find on the provided USB memory stick or you can download it from our website. Do NOT connect the Tobii Pro X2 Eye Tracker to the computer before running the installation software.
- Run the Setup application that you can find on the USB memory stick or download from the web site and follow the on-screen instructions, as described in the following steps.
- Confirm that you acknowledge and agree to the conditions of the end-user license agreement by checking the tick-box.
- Click the Start button. You will be directed to the Firmware and Drivers screen. Choose which eye tracker model you wish to install from the list (Tobii Pro X3-120). Please wait while the needed drivers and firmware are being installed.
- When all the software is successfully installed, click the Next button. You will be directed to the Select Eye Tracker screen.
- Now connect the eye tracker to your computer by using the provided USB cable to a free USB 3 port on your computer. You can only connect the device to a powered USB 3.0 port with BC 1.2 functionality. If you are using the external processing unit (accessory), first you need to connect the eye tracker USB cable to the external processing unit and then connect the external processing unit to the computer by using an Ethernet cable. Power up the external processing unit after connecting all the cables.
- Click to select your eye tracker from the list of the discovered eye trackers. Click the Next button once the device is selected. You will be directed to the Select Display Monitor screen. If the eye tracker does not show up, wait for 1 minute, if it still does not show up unplug the eye tracker cable and reinsert it. If this does not work please restart your computer and run the setup again.
- Next specify on which of the screens connected to your computer the eye tracker is mounted. If you are unsure which screen is the one that the eye tracker is attached to, click the Identify button. You will see a number displayed on each screen so that you can identify it.
- Click the Next button. You will be directed to the Map to Display Monitor screen. In the following steps you will configure where the eye tracker is positioned relative to the active display area of the screen by clicking the Start mapping button. The mapping screen will be displayed on the monitor the eye tracker is attached to.
- Drag the handles on the dotted lines so they align with each of the two lines on the top of the Pro X3-120
It is very important to be as careful and precise as possible when performing this step because a wrongly performed configuration may result in offsets in the eye tracking data.
- When you have finished aligning, click the I’m done button. You will get back to the Map to Display Monitor screen of the Tobii Eye Tracker Installer.
- Click Next. You will get a notification message that your system is ready for eye tracking.
- Click Exit or close the Tobii Eye Tracker Installer window to exit the application.
- After installing and setting up the eye tracker, you need to install other software that you intend to use such as Tobii Pro Studio or Tobii SDK.
Re-configuring the eye tracker
If you move the eye tracker to another computer you must always run the Tobii Eye Tracker Installer on that computer to configure the eye tracker for the new setup. If you move the eye tracker between different computers, monitors or setups you must always re-configure the eye tracker for it to work properly. To re-configure the eye tracker follow the steps below:
- Make sure the eye tracker is attached to the monitor and connected to your computer and that the Eye Tracker Installer has been installed on the computer before you re-configure the eye tracker.
- Find and open the Tobii Eye Tracking (32–bit) configuration tool in the Windows Control Panel.
- To re-configure the eye tracker for your monitor, click the Set Up button.
- Now follow the same configuration procedure as outlined in the installation section above to reconfigure your eye tracker.